I am participating on a panel this afternoon at the ReVisioning Value 2010 Conference in Portland, Oregon, discussing legal entities for innovation. Among the alternative ways you may structure a social venture:
- within an existing nonprofit.
- as an affiliate/subsidiary (nonprofit or for-profit) of an existing nonprofit.
- as an independent nonprofit.
- as a fiscally sponsored project of an existing nonprofit.
- as an independent traditional business entity.
- as a certified B Corporation.
- as an independent L3C.
- as an independent benefit corporation.
- as a joint venture between a nonprofit and for-profit.
Remember: don't let form dictate function; function should dictate the form.
You may download the complete PowerPoint presentation by clicking the following link:
Download ReVV2010 – Legal Entities.