Notable Events of the Week:
- The U.S. launched a missile attack on Syria in response to Syrian President Assad’s poison gas attack on its citizens.
- Senate Republicans changed longstanding rules to allow them to bypass a Democratic filibuster and confirm Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch
- Rep. Devin Nunes, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, announced “he would step aside from leading his committee’s investigation into Russia’s efforts to disrupt last year’s presidential election.”
- I’m in New Orleans this week for an ABA Business Law Section conference and meeting of the Nonprofit Organizations committee.
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- BoardSource: Nearly 4,500 organizations call on Congress to protect the #JohnsonAmendment and nonprofit nonpartisanship: http://hubs.ly/H06-f8j0
- Center for Effective Philanthropy: Catch up on Day 1 of #CEP2017 with our blog recap: http://hubs.ly/H06Z-Qz0 [Ed. Follow CEP’s blog for recaps of Days 2-3 – http://effectivephilanthropy.org/blog/.]
- Emma Green: “Religious congregations do a lot … the scale of what they do is trivial compared to what the government does.” Can Religious Charities Take the Place of the Welfare State? The Atlantic
- Independent Sector: Introducing #Giving100, a new grassroots advocacy campaign to expand charitable deduction to 100% of U.S. taxpayers.
- Ford Foundation: The @FordFoundation commits $1 billion to Mission-Related Investments. More: here #impinv #Fordimpinv #SkollWF
- Darren Walker: Failure to invest in the arts will keep America from being great. #FundTheArts The Hill
- AFP Jason Lee: From earlier … but well worth reading: 5 Things That Are Making Regulators Buzz http://goo.gl/ibzxHX NonProfitTimes
- La Piana Consulting: Do your CEO and Board Chair work together as a dynamic duo? Here are some ways to strengthen that key relationship http://ow.ly/nxul30aenW1
- Gene: Omidyar Network gives $100 million to boost #journalism and fight hate speech Washington Post
- Gene: Facebook now lets you create personal fundraisers for yourself, friends, and family Mashable | #charitable vs personal blur