Notable Events of the Week:
- United Airlines forcibly removed a paying senior citizen passenger from his seat, allowing him to be knocked out and dragged out by his arms (without administering immediate first aid), because the airline prioritized getting one of its employees without a booked seat to the same location, then delayed an apology to the battered passenger in an astonishingly tone-deaf set of follow-up communications.
- 18 members of the Syrian Democratic Forces who have been fighting ISIS alongside the United States were mistakenly killed by an airstrike by the American-led coalition, raising concerns about President Trump’s oversight of critical military operations.
- Washington Post reporter David Fahrenthold was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for national reporting on then presidential candidate Donald Trump, focusing particularly on his exaggerated, questionable, and unethical “philanthropic” practices.
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- Nonprofit Quarterly: Now that the court is once again at nine justices, how will Gorsuch’s addition affect the Supreme Court? http://hubs.ly/H072gjH0
- CEP: Great op-ed on data, evidence, and outcomes in @thehill from @DanCardinali and @ABLImpact.
- La Piana Consulting: How foundations can leverage the collective power of advocacy collaboratives http://ow.ly/dElH30aI9oT via @pndblog @GrantCraft
- Nonprofit Quarterly: Nonprofit abruptly closes doors, files for bankruptcy and now a trustee is planning to sue their board: NPQ
- Venable Nonprofit Law: #RestrictedGifts: What You Can and Can’t Do via NonProfit Times; @VenableLLP event highlighted
- For Purpose Law: What, Exactly, is a “Suggested Donation”?
- Don Kramer Nonprofit Issues: Directors and Officers Liability Insurance: Why It’s Worth the Cost http://ow.ly/NKfW30aJnjd via @npquarterly
- Gene: 100% of foundations set up their portfolios for impact; but most don’t know if the impact is positive or negative PND Blog
- Philantopic: What Do #Nonprofits Do When Commercial Brands Are Viewed as Social Changers? http://ow.ly/jzWS30aLjp0 @huffintonpost #csr
- Sarah Zak Borgman: Skoll World Forum: Key takeaways #skollwf #socent Devex
Themed Media Selection:
United Airlines passenger apparently dragged off flight after refusing to give up seat – ABC News