Stay informed of the week’s notable events and shared resources with this curated list of Nonprofit Tweets of the Week.
Notable Events of the Week:
- “Forty-nine people were killed in shootings at two mosques in central Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday, in a terrorist attack that Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described as “an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.” New York Times
- “A new proposal by President Trump to slash Medicare spending puts Republicans in a political bind ahead of the 2020 election as Democrats are pitching an expansion of the popular health-care program for all Americans.” Washington Post
- “The biggest college admissions scam ever prosecuted in the US is a harsh reminder that wealthy families can cheat their way to even greater privilege. And some say this scandal is just the tip of the iceberg.” CNN
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- Sam Brunson: With (very light) pressure from @Omri_Marian, I took my #CollegeCheatingScandal tweetstorm and did a @surlysubgroup post on it. If you’re interested in the misuse of charitable orgs, deductability, or just watching rich people act bad, this is for you. Key Worldwide Foundation and College Admissions Scams
- Nonprofit Law News: Nonprofits Seeking to Avoid New Parking Tax Must Make Changes Soon https://goo.gl/SA2d53 | by @mcguirewoodsllp
- Gene: Top Factors Expected To Influence Nonprofit Organizations In 2019 Forbes
- Justice Funders: “The opportunity & even pressure for philanthropy to change practices to support an economic transformation that can save future generations is greater than ever.” Thank you @JeanneBellNP @npquarterly for this thoughtful write up of #SOTM2019 & Resonance! What Do Our Times Require? Funders Propose a Philanthropic “Green New Deal”
- Jenny Chandler: Idea for boosting diversity among #nonprofit bds: If a bd member works for a business offering #DiversityandInclusion training for its staff could other bd members attend as guests? New report may spark other ideas! https://buff.ly/2WeiIX7 via @KoyaPartners
- Mission Investors: NEW in our ongoing @SSIReview series: Dr. Robert Ross and @amythechung lay out the 5 core practices that have helped @CalEndow ensure that #racialequity is central to its impact investing strategy SSIReview
- Vu Le: The urgency of making big funding bets on organizations led by marginalized communities Nonprofit AF
- Center for Effective Philanthropy: NEW on the blog from @rustystahl of @FundThePeople: “Looking Beyond Leadership: Why Funders Should Support Grantees’ Entire Staff.”
- Brendan Fischer: Big news: following our complaint and reporting by @theintercept, the FEC has levied a record-breaking $940K in fines against a Chinese-owned corporation that illegally gave $1.3 million to Jeb Bush’s super PAC. Mother Jones
- Bill Gates: I’m a big fan of the MIT @techreview’s annual list of breakthrough technologies — so when they asked me to choose this year’s list, I jumped at the chance.