I'm in Chicago today to give a couple of workshops on risk management for bar association leaders at the 2011 ABA Bar Leadership Institute. Here's the agenda:
- Legal Duties of the Board
- Directors' Exposure to Liability
- Delegation of Authority
- Unhappy Employees
- Social Media
Here's an excerpt of part of my planned discussion on meeting a director's duties:
- Attendance is a typical issue. What is expected? What is required? Do your bylaws have low quorum requirements; below a majority of the directors in office; what message does that send? Do your bylaws have an automatic removal provision for a certain number of consecutive missed meetings? This may be easier to manage than a removal requiring an affirmative vote of the board.
- Reviewing financials. Is your board adequately monitoring the financial health of the organization and performance-to-budget? If the board is not providing sufficient oversight and the association becomes insolvent, the directors may have some exposure.
- Reviewing non-financial performance. How well is the association furthering its stated mission? How do you measure this?
- Monitoring legal compliance. What policies do you have in place?