Catch up with the week’s notable events and shared resources with Nonprofit Tweets of the Week.
Notable Events of the Week:
- A federal judge blocked President Trump’s executive order on immigration enforcement that would have allowed the federal government to withhold federal funding from sanctuary cities.
- A lawyer for the Department of Justice alarmed the Supreme Court with its hard-lined position in a citizenship case, prompting Chief Justice Roberts to state that under such position, “the government will have the opportunity to denaturalize anyone they want.”
- President Trump purposed sharp reductions in both individual and corporate income tax rates, including a highly criticized 15 percent business tax rate that would apply to big corporations currently subject to a 35 percent tax rate and certain pass-through entities currently subject to a 39.6 percent individual tax rate.
- The Council of Foundations held its annual meeting.
- Last Saturday was Earth Day, which was not coincidentally the day of the Science March.
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- Nonprofit Times: ICYMI: Preliminary #TaxReform plan would double standard deduction, eliminate estate tax – http://ow.ly/dJpt30bdWEd #nonprofit #fundraising
- National Council of Nonprofits: @NatlCouncilNPs on potential effects of White House #taxreform outline on #nonprofits Press Release
- CEP: JUST RELEASED: How are foundations responding to a changed political context? Download the new CEP research report: http://hubs.ly/H07d4cD0
- CalNonprofits: @CalNonprofits proudly part of this amicus brief: Judge Blocks Trump Effort to Withhold Money From Sanctuary Cities NY Times [Ed. Evidence that nonprofit advocacy matters and works.]
- Vox: Rich charities keep getting richer. That means your money isn’t doing as much good as it could. [Ed. Also read this rebuttal from Jim Schaffer in The Nonprofit Quarterly.]
- Alan Cantor: When does two plus two equal six? When the commercial donor-advised fund industry does the counting. http://bit.ly/2pdC5PH
- Gene: Exempt Organizations and Presidential Executive Orders #nonprofit #advocacy
- Nikhil Pillai: Nonprofits – thinking about starting a c4? Check out our new resource: http://bit.ly/2o7FtOl [Ed. Great set of 4 publications from Alliance for Justice Bolder Advocacy!]
- Foreign Policy: EXCLUSIVE: Trump budget would gut development assistance and merge the State Department with USAID. FP
- Independent Sector: Check out some of the core benefits of having your company commit to social and community work. Forbes