You can listen to Emily and me on Tony Martignetti Nonprofit Radio today (1:00 pm ET; 10:00 am PT) continuing our discussion of board oversight basics.
Here are some of my favorite posts of the week in the areas of nonprofit organizations, corporate governance, philanthropy, and social enterprises:
- Pro Publica: Komen gave three different explanations for its decision to defund Planned Parenthood. We explore the details: http://propub.ca/yjRhgg
- Nonprofit Quarterly: What else don’t we know about Susan G. Komen for the Cure? http://owl.li/8Un0M
- On Giving: Komen for the Cure is not the first charitable organization to have PR trouble - http://wapo.st/yXK2pW
- Emily: NLRB issues new report on social media cases - http://1.usa.gov/vZmytR | My recent Nonprofit Quarterly article on Facebook firings - http://bit.ly/xEEoQv [Ed. – We'll have a blog post on the new report in the near future.]
- Emily: Nonprofits lose 13% of donations 2 fraud. – Embezzlement Happens. It's What Charities Do Next That Matters @Philanthropy - http://bit.ly/wVnKHT
- Emily: Strategic Volunteer Engagement – understand complexities & max advntgs @RGK_Center - http://bit.ly/w8LaC6
- Gene: Why very careful selection of a fiscal sponsor is so important | Groups Say Donations Disappeared with Fiscal Sponsor - http://j.mp/yknloc
- Emily: NH Senate bill requires nonprofit board members attend training w/ focus on fiscal mgmt & ethics via Nonprofit Quarterly – http://bit.ly/Ajavw8
- Gene: Is it time for you to step off the board? Lucy Marcus' recent article - http://reut.rs/zjcNpG seems timely in the nonprofit sector.
- NPTech Blogs: Inconvenient Truths About Committees - http://bit.ly/zvmC1W
- C. Garber Siegrist: Investing for Impact: How social entrepreneurship is redefining the meaning of return - http://bit.ly/ykOfa8
- Jessamyn Lau: Reading great summary report on measuring impact. Thanks for making so much of your research public Gates Foundation: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/learning
- Adin Miller: Oh! This should be a good read – @SocialFinanceUS releases white paper on social impact bonds – http://bit.ly/zOqpKW