Stay informed of the week’s notable events and shared resources with this curated list of Nonprofit Tweets of the Week.
Notable Events of the Week:
- “President Trump on Thursday backed down from his controversial push to add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census, effectively conceding defeat in a battle he had revived just last week and promised to continue despite a recent string of legal defeats.” Washington Post
- “Outbreaks of scabies, shingles and chickenpox were spreading among the hundreds of children who were being held in cramped cells, agents said. The stench of the children’s dirty clothing was so strong it spread to the agents’ own clothing — people in town would scrunch their noses when they left work. The children cried constantly. One girl seemed likely enough to try to kill herself that the agents made her sleep on a cot in front of them, so they could watch her as they were processing new arrivals.” NY Times
- ““I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy,” Trump told New York Magazine that year for a story headlined “Jeffrey Epstein: International Moneyman of Mystery.” “He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life.” Now, Epstein is in jail, charged with sex trafficking by federal prosecutors who allege he abused dozens of underage women [i.e., children] in New York and Palm Beach, Fla.” Washington Post
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- Carrie Garber Siegrist: Should #taxexempt orgs be required to report donors on forms 990? More on the #501(c)(4) #donor disclosures conversation, building on Rev. Proc. 2018-38 #nonprofitlaw: Democrats press IRS on guidance reducing donor disclosure requirements
- MarketWatch: Americans slashed their charitable deductions by $54 billion after Trump’s tax overhaul
- Chronicle of Philanthropy: Eighty-one percent of foundations expect their grant making to be flat or to decline in 2019, according to a recent survey. CoP
- Independent Sector: Giving declined last year despite a strong economy. Only 10% of households itemize on their taxes. It’s time to extend giving incentives to the remaining 90%. Use our #EveryDonationCounts toolkits to reach your networks and lawmakers.
- Nonprofit Quarterly: NPQ’s Most Influential Articles of 2018: Organizing our Economy as if We Lived on a Single Planet http://bit.ly/2GA8Cfc
- Chronicle of Philanthropy: Leaders of color share stories of struggle and triumph and insights in how to make philanthropy truly inclusive. Leaders of Color Speak Out
- BoardSource: BoardSource recommends that every board have regularly scheduled executive sessions. Download this resource to learn why they are important, who should attend, what might be discussed, and how to keep them effective. Executive Sessions: Why, Who, What, & How
- Stanford Social Innovation Review: “As more #funders consider joining collaboratives that set ambitious goals for social change, they will benefit from engaging each other candidly” on a range of questions, says @BridgespanGroup #nonprofits How Philanthropic Collaborations Succeed, and Why They Fail
- Joan Garry: The 5 Pillars of a Thriving Nonprofit http://bit.ly/2XqUflm #NonprofitsAreMessy
- For Purpose Law: CA’s New Budget: Boon to Nonprofit Sector