Stay informed of the week’s notable events and shared resources with this curated list of Nonprofit Tweets of the Week.
Notable Events of the Week:
- “The explosive leak of a draft Supreme Court opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade not only focused the nation on the magnitude of the change facing abortion rights, it also signaled the rise of a rightward-moving court that is testing the power of fellow conservative Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr.” Washington Post
- “Gun deaths reached the highest level ever recorded in the United States in 2020, the first year of the pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control reported on Tuesday. Gun-related homicides in particular rose by 35 percent, a surge that exacted an unprecedented toll on Black men, agency researchers said.” NY Times
- “Neutral Finland’s leaders unequivocally said they intended to seek membership in the alliance, with Sweden expected to do the same, inviting new threats from Moscow.” NY Times
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- Linda Rosenthal: Ambitious New Nonprofit Legislation
- Gene: “In considering the financial effect of making or excluding certain investments, the [charity] trustees can take into account the risk of losing support from donors and damage to the reputation of the charity generally and in particular among its beneficiaries.” #climatechange [Ed. This tweet quoted Law & Religion UK’s tweet: “Trustee investment policy: note on Butler-Sloss & Ors v The Charity Commission for England and Wales & Anor  EWHC 974 (Ch): Trustee investment policy: Butler-Sloss & Ors“.]
- Candid: Read all six takeaways from Candid’s team who attended and spoke at @ABFE’s annual conference, #Harambee2022, now on our blog. Candid Blog
- Farnaz Fassihi: Our investigative story on how a U.N. agency (UNOPS) gave $60 million to one businessman & $3 million to his college aged daughter after meeting them at a party. Why? And UN may have lost at least $25 million. w/ @Fahrenthold A Pot of U.N. Money. Risk-Taking Officials. A Sea of Questions.
- Nonprofit Quarterly: The nonprofit sector’s vitality is linked to rising income inequality and depleted social movements. If #nonprofits truly support a more equitable future, they must examine these complex relationships: https://bit.ly/3M6oEem #leadership @pewresearch @inequalityorg
- Clare Nolan: Our local paper recently ran an article blaming nonprofit housing providers for the deplorable conditions in which many formerly homeless folks are living. Here is the other side of that story. @DISHinSF @vetshelpingvets 👀 Permanent Supportive Housing: It’s not a model that’s broken but the foundation is crumbling.
- Gene: Gene: NEW from the Congressional Joint Committee on Taxation: Present Law And Background Relating To The Federal Tax Treatment Of Political Campaign And Lobbying Activities Of Tax-Exempt Organizations JCX-7-22 (download)
- Candid: Funders, if you want to tackle climate injustice, it means taking on racial injustice. @joberdorf of @echoinggreen shares action you can take, including putting intersectionality at the heart, funding grassroots efforts + supporting collective action. There Is No Climate Justice without Racial Justice
- Kevin Starr: This is pretty much everything I know about strategy for (serious) scale in about half the # of words in an average New Yorker article. This is what we teach our fellows; we hope it’s useful for both doers and funders: Strategy: Go Big or Go… Oh, Just Go Big
- For Purpose Law Group: Back To The Naming-Rights Conversation
Racial Equity and Justice:
Black Land Theft and the Racial Wealth Divide (Tykeisa Nesbitt, Inequality Media)
Netflix’s IllumiNative Producers Program Announces Inaugural Cohort (Rebecca Sun, Hollywood Reporter)
‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ is a deeply Asian American film (Anne Anlin Cheng, Washington Post)
Atlanta Season 3 Episode 4: The Great White Lie (clip, YouTube)
If there are any attorneys or law students who identify as Black, Native Americans, or Pacific Islanders who are interested in nonprofit corporate and tax-exemption laws and who’d like to pursue this area of practice, I’m committing one hour each week to being a resource. Please contact me if I can be of service. 🙏