Stay informed of the week’s notable events and shared resources with this curated list of Nonprofit Tweets of the Week.
Notable Events of the Week:
- “Three white men were found guilty of murder and other charges on Wednesday for the pursuit and fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old Black man, in a case that, together with the killing of George Floyd, helped inspire the racial justice protests of last year.” NY Times
- “The number of Americans filing initial unemployment claims fell to 199,000 — the lowest level since November 1969 — the Labor Department reported Wednesday. … It’s a stark contrast with this time last year, when around 700,000 claims were filed.” Washington Post
- “Three major retailers helped flood two Ohio counties with addictive opioids, a federal jury said Tuesday in a first-of-its-kind verdict that could serve as a possible indicator for thousands of cities and counties that blame the companies for part of the nation’s opioid crisis.” Washington Post
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- Independent Sector: Thanksgiving is known as a celebratory day to spend with loved ones, but the truth about its origin is often misrepresented. Read IS Vice Chair & @NativeChildren Executive Director Sarah Kastelic’s reflection on the history of Thanksgiving: Addressing the Trauma of Native American Boarding Schools
- Othering & Belonging Institute: “If we understand that… adopting an ideology like white supremacy is due to a sense of isolation & wanting to belong, can we resist the temptation to further aggravate those feelings?” – @profjohnapowell on #Rittenhouse #America #Justice #Race #Law #BLM Can we disarm vigilantes by bridging?
- Independent Sector: The House just passed the Build Back Better Act. Read IS President & CEO @DanCardinali’s statement about how it supports #civicinfrastructure & how IS looks forward to Senate consideration: Independent Sector Applauds Build Back Better Act Passage in House
- BoardSource: Each member of the board of directors plays a key role in the success of an organization, both in terms of governance and support. Here are the levels of participation expected of board members in four key functions: Board Performance Matrix
- TechSoup: Over 14 percent of U.S. adults hold some form of #cryptocurrency. By accepting crypto directly, #nonprofits can help donors give more. Learn more in the #TechSoupBlog: http://spr.ly/6014J5SSs #Tech4Good #Fundraising #DigitalFundraising
- Will Van Sant: In a tax filing, NRA says it is investigating benefits paid to CEO Wayne LaPierre and his wife, including professional hair and makeup services and private jet flights WSJ
- Teddy Schleifer: Interesting to see the $10 billion Bezos Earth Fund make someone focused on racial equity one of their first hires. [Ed. That someone is Danielle Deane-Ryan as Director, Equitable Climate Solutions.]
- Nonprofit Quarterly: “White institutions have sought narratives which confirm their anxieties exist, which is risk.” @LakotaVogel explains how traditional financial systems disenfranchise Indigenous communities: Let’s Dismantle the Narratives That Impoverish Native Trust Lands
- Stanford PACS: In case you missed it, watch the video from our discussion on “#Philanthropy and Power,” featuring @MaribelMorey1, @mega_flavor, @p2173, and @robreich.
- Stanford Social Innovation Review: “Practicing deep listening is especially valuable in a context where citizens fear greater political divisions and where extreme views have become more dominant.” @ekasriel (@BBCWorldService) writes about better understanding one another. Deep Listening
Racial Equity / BLM:
Healing From Colonization on Thanksgiving and Beyond (Edgar Villanueva and Hilary Giovale, Yes!)
Guilty, Guilty, Guilty (Charles M. Blow, NY Times)
Senate confirms first Native American to lead National Park Service (Dartunorro Clark, NBC News)
If there are any attorneys or law students who identify as Black, Native Americans, or Pacific Islanders who are interested in nonprofit corporate and tax-exemption laws and who’d like to pursue this area of practice, I’m committing one hour each week to being a resource. Please contact me if I can be of service. 🙏