Stay informed of the week’s notable events and shared resources with this curated list of Nonprofit Tweets of the Week.
Notable Events of the Week:
- “Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was sworn in Wednesday as the 46th president of the United States, pledging to unite the country and confront an array of convulsing challenges dividing a fractured nation.” Washington Post
- “President Biden unleashed a full-scale assault on his predecessor’s legacy on Wednesday, acting hours after taking the oath of office to sweep aside President Donald J. Trump’s pandemic response, reverse his environmental agenda, tear down his anti-immigration policies, bolster the sluggish economic recovery and restore federal efforts aimed at promoting diversity.” NY Times
- “Biden’s incoming chief of staff warns that the virus death toll will reach 500,000 by the end of February.” NY Times
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- Nonprofit Quarterly: TRENDING — The Biden $1.9 Trillion Relief Plan: What Does It Contain?
- Anne Wallestad: My reflections on the healing potential of the nonprofit sector. New today on the @BoardSource blog.
- PhilanTopic: America’s #foundations can grant #democracy room to breathe http://ow.ly/4FUc30rtzwI @CandidDotOrg #philanthropy
- Vu Le: “it’s not good enough just to post inspiring quotes by MLK. We all need to reexamine our actions to see which ones align with equity and justice, and fix the stuff we do that don’t.” 21 Signs You or Your Organization May Be the White Moderate Dr. King Warned About
- Crystal Hayling: Thank you @npquarterly for posting my blog on this Martin Luther King, Jr Day. Transfer of Power: The Deeper Shift We Need via @npquarterly
- For Purpose Law Group: Endowments: Dipping In During Emergencies #philanthropy #nonprofits #NPCOVID19
- Nonprofit Times: The subsidiary of NRA – National Rifle Association of America that also filed #bankruptcy was an entity named Sea Girt, LLC, created in November with the primary purpose of allowing the NRA to file for bankruptcy in #Texas – http://ow.ly/EiGG50DcmV2 #nonprofit #NRAbankruptcy
- Ellen Aprill: My piece just out in The Conversation on 501(c)(4) social welfare groups’ involvement in the events of January 6. Nonprofits helped organize the pro-Trump rally before the Capitol siege – but they probably won’t suffer any consequences
- Moira Donegan: I get why people want to qualify or hedge any expression of optimism, happiness, or triumph. But no effort for justice is sustainable without joy, and celebration does not mean an end to hard work or a denial of ongoing struggle.
- Gene: If there are any attorneys or law students who identify as Black Americans who are interested in nonprofit corporate and tax-exemption laws and who’d like to pursue this area of practice, I’m committing an hour each week to being a resource. Please ping [contact] me if I can be of service.
Black Lives Matter:
- Amanda Gorman calls on Americans to ‘leave behind a country better than the one we were left’ in powerful inauguration poem (Chandelis Duster, CNN) [Ed. Watch the video of Gorman’s reading.]
- A Black Lives Matter Founder on Building Modern Movements (Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, The New Yorker)
- The Autobiography of Martin Luther King Jr. [based on the Blinkist 18 min. summary of the book]
- One Night in Miami
- The Trial of the Chicago 7