NEO Law Group's Emily Chan is one of the expert panelists discussing Leadership Through Board Service, a 2-hour program on Tuesday, May 24, starting at 6:15 pm, hosted by the Young Nonprofit Professionals Network of the San Francisco Bay Area (YNPNsfba). Emily will be joined by:
- Ann Lehman, Nonprofit Planning and Policy Specialist and Author of Board Members Rule: How to Be a Strategic Advocate for your Nonprofit;
- Bruce Marcus, San Francisco State University Instructor of Volunteer Management: From Boards to Bag Stuffers; and
- John Power, Executive Director of The Volunteer Center Serving San Francisco and San Mateo Counties.
Emily is of course my extraordinary young colleague and principal contributor to this blog. In addition to being a nonprofit attorney, she serves on the boards of At the Crossroads and Streetside Stories, and has written articles for The Chronicle of Philanthropy, the ABA's Business Law Today, About.com, and Blue Avocado; presented on nonprofit legal issues to the Center for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership, CalCPA nonprofit interest groups, the Bar Association of San Francisco, and an MBA class at USF; and coached the UC Hastings moot court team at a national competition where she previously won an award as best oral advocate. Did I mention she's 25 and a former competitive figure skater?
You can sign up here. It's only $10 or $7 if you're a YNPNsfba member.
SF Friends Meeting House
65 9th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Do you want to stand out as a leader in the non-profit community? Are you looking for an opportunity to have a substantial impact toward a mission you care deeply about? Learn how board service can take your career in the nonprofit sector to the next level!
Joining a board will allow you to make new connections with leaders and like-minded professionals, as well as learn more about nonprofit governance nd develop yourself as a leader. Join YNPNsfba Career Development Committee for an introduction to board service with expert panelists who will discuss:
- Considerations when choosing a board;
- Different types of boards and board culture;
- Roles and responsibilities;
- Important legal aspects;
- Fundraising techniques and tactics; and
- Tips on how to improve your experience and contributions as a board member.
Feel confident in your decision to join a board, with the tools and information to find a board service opportunity that matches your availability and expertise, and is sure to enrich your personal and career growth!